By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com

Sunday, March 4, 2012

How to Teach Rhythm Movement & Pattern w/ @Xbox Kinect & #JustDance3 #lessonplan #artsed #gbl

As a wrap up of a week long project on the principles of design: rhythm and movement, I wanted my students to see the connection to other areas of the arts curriculum, reward them for their hard work and prepare them for a upcoming video game / art project using Gamestar Mechanic.

Having a hard time viewing the video at school? Check out the downloaded file off of Animoto:

animoto_360p.mp4 Watch on Posterous

I must say though, I was REALLY pleased with the overall project with my students. They spent all week working on their "traditional" Rhythm and Movement projects (which you can download and modify the Google Doc lesson plans below) and I wanted to give rewards to the Top 3 in each class: Face me in a dance off to Just Dance 3

We had fun dancing all day in class, but probably what amazed me the most was the sheer number of students actually coming up and thanking me for bringing in the Xbox Kinect and telling me how much fun they had today. 

I think this just really shows the potential of learning with video games, instead of just making them as sole pieces of entertainment. If the teacher is willing to stretch their imagination to combine student interest with classroom content  - the possibilities can be endless.
Just_Dance_3_in_the_classroom_035.MP4 Watch on Posterous

If you want to make your OWN video games with your students, check out my lesson plan on Gamestar Mechanic here
Want to modify my lesson plans to do this in your OWN art or reg ed classroom? Check out my Google Docs

The 8th graders do figures in motion as inspired by a stroboscope

The 7th graders transform one object into another through progressive steps

  

The 6th graders created woven pieces of work out of paper similar to African textiles

No comments:

Post a Comment