By: TwitterButtons.com
By TwitterButtons.com

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Surreal Artwork with Perspective using GIMP

Surreal Artwork Intro


To get my students to make Surreal Artwork, they at first have to study some Surreal Artwork. On the day that I am not in class, I give them a handout with basics on perspective drawing that can get the students to independently draw the one point perspective of a room. Drawing in One Point Perspective has some great tutorials. I took a good chunk of them and turned it into this PDF of perspective_drawing directions for my students.






Surreal Artwork Drawing to Digital Art


When I returned from my sub, my students had to take a picture of their drawing on their iPad and send it to their Kidblog account. We used these directions on how to send surreal artwork to kidblogtheir perspective drawing to Kidblog.


Surreal Artwork outlined/painted in GIMP


By using my GIMP tutorials, students learned the basics of layers when working with their Surreal Artwork.  One layer was an outline of their lines in correct perspective. Another layer became their paint. Their final layer became pieces of Surreal artwork from artists like Salvador Dali, or they made their own by combining two unrelated photos together – such as out of a dream. Check out the lesson plan


Why GIMP for Surreal Artwork?



  • GIMP is free version of Photoshop

  • Gave students time to work on desktop instead of just mobile devices

  • Great tool to make straight lines (perfect for perspective drawing)

  • Utilize numerous layers while creating artwork

  • Potential to save image to different file types


I only wish there was a GIMP like tool for the iPads. It is a little difficult to try to request the computer lab for a few days to get the students to do the project. I have also done this very similar project with my 6th graders with Surreal Perspective Drawing. But when not drawing/painting, GIMP is also a great tool to cut and edit photos to make a new and different piece of art. We have also used it to make some interesting Anti-Obesity Colleges or turned their Photos Into Celebrities.



Have you used GIMP as a Surreal Artwork tool? How so?


 



Check out my GIMP Tutorial YouTube Playlist




Surreal Artwork with Perspective using GIMP

No comments:

Post a Comment